Alumni: Our History
Update Your Info.
"Old School" Alumni
MHS Fallen Heroes
Athletic Hall of Fame
First Wednesday of each
Month at Manchester
Manchester High School
437 West Nimisila Road
Akron, OH 44319
Manchester Alumni Assoc.
Our History & Purpose
The Manchester Alumni Association was officially founded in 2001 with a mission of promoting the pride and spirit of Manchester High School and the community, to assist in raising funds for college scholarship awards, and to keep our graduates well-informed about their alma mater and the Alumni Association.
Former superintendent Marco Burnette approached longtime guidance counselor Keith McCauley about spearheading the initial alumni effort, and a core group of volunteers was soon assembled to launch the association. These hardworking officers have remained together since that time, with additional alumni also making key contributions.
Here are some of the things the Alumni Association has accomplished in its short history:
- Sponsored a Manchester alumni dinner/dance
- Coordinated Manchester community nights at Akron Aeros baseball games
- Established an ANNUAL Alumni Pre-Game Tailgate Party at one home football game each season. In 2010, the event will be held prior to the first home game (the “Hall of Fame” game) on Friday, September 3rd. This is also Labor Day Weekend, so play to join us!
- Awarded six Manchester Alumni Association Scholarships. The first annual $2000 scholarship was given in 2002 through alumni fundraising efforts at previous Aeros and Cleveland Browns games, as well as with generous donations from Panther graduates and friends.
- Published the MHS Alumni Directory 2003. This major project was our first effort in compiling information to keep the alumni informed. If you were not listed in the Directory — or if you’ve recently moved, have a new email address or phone number — please click on the “Update Your Info” link and fill in your contact information so that we can keep our database current.
- Produced and mass-mailed our first 4-page Alumni Newsletter in 2005
- Provided the funding for a Fall ’05 high school assembly dealing with the adverse affects of drug and alcohol abuse, as well as teen suicide
- Supported both the Manchester athletic and performing arts programs with financial assistance
- Launched an independent website dedicated to Manchester grads: PantherAlumni.org. In this electronic age, the website will be our primary means of communicating information to alums. We will continually update the site, so please “bookmark” it and check back often!
- Began producing a monthly e-newsletter, PantherAlumnotes, in January 2007. The newsletter features news and updates about the Manchester alumni, the school district & community. It is emailed to all MHS alumni currently in our database. To ensure that you receive PantherAlumnotes, click on the "Update Your Info" link here on our website.
- Held our third annual Reverse Raffle / Silent Auction in February of 2010. This annual event raises money each year for our scholarship program.
The Alumni Association meets the first Wednesday of each month at 7pm, either in the high school cafeteria or library. Our meetings are open to all Manchester grads, and your attendance is welcome! We encourage your involvement in our group and in alumni activities. Please feel free to give us your feedback or suggestions, as well.